Book Title: Violet Made of Thorns
Author: Gina Chen
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Release Date: July 26, 2022
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance
A darkly enchanting fantasy debut about a morally gray witch, a cursed prince, and a prophecy that ignites their fate-twisted destinies—perfect for fans of The Cruel Prince and Serpent & Dove.
Violet is a prophet and a liar, influencing the royal court with her cleverly phrased—and not always true—divinations. Honesty is for suckers, like the oh-so-not charming Prince Cyrus, who plans to strip Violet of her official role once he’s crowned at the end of the summer—unless Violet does something about it.
But when the king asks her to falsely prophesy Cyrus’s love story for an upcoming ball, Violet awakens a dreaded curse, one that will end in either damnation or salvation for the kingdom—all depending on the prince’s choice of future bride. Violet faces her own choice: Seize an opportunity to gain control of her own destiny, no matter the cost, or give in to the ill-fated attraction that’s growing between her and Cyrus.
Violet’s wits may protect her in the cutthroat court, but they can’t change her fate. And as the boundary between hatred and love grows ever thinner with the prince, Violet must untangle a wicked web of deceit in order to save herself and the kingdom—or doom them all.
Gina Chen tells stories about fantastic worlds featuring heroines, antiheroines, and the kind of cleverness that brings trouble in its wake. A self-taught artist with a degree in computer science, she generates creative nonsense in all forms of media and always has a project stewing. Violet Made of Thorns is her debut fantasy novel. For more info, visit actualgina.com and follow @actualgina on Twitter and Instagram.
Violet Made of Thorns is such a stunning debut, filled with morally gray characters, a breathtaking world, and a plot that will keep you guessing. I was so enthralled with this story that it was nearly impossible to put down. Violet Made of Thorns is easily one of my favorite reads of 2022!
Top 5 Reasons I loved Violet Made of Thorns
- Enemies to lovers romance! This is one of my favorite romance tropes and Chen does this romance spectacularly.
- Chen’s writing is lush and captivating. This story is so well-written that it’s difficult to put down, and the plot is so nicely layered.
- Violet is the type of main character that has numerous sharp edges and is somewhat of an antagonist, but you can’t help but love her and root for her!
- I’m a lover of fairytales and Violet Made of Thorns is full of everything that I love in fairytales.
- The chemistry between Violet and Cyrus is so fantastic, the sparks jump right off the page. I loved seeing their emotions evolve for one another.
“Nothing lasts in this world, least of all our lives.”
“I’ll let you in on a little secret: I like it when my enemies underestimate me.”
“Better to be pleasantly surprised than be vulnerable.”
Check out the amazing bloggers on this book tour!
Thank you, TBR and Beyond Tours, for having us on this book tour!